- Differentiate between a discounted and used dress. The former is a brand new dress, preferably from a good designer, that is available at an attractively low price.
- Check that the dress is made of high quality materials. It should also be stitched well, with all seams and hems done correctly. Poor quality tailoring will look awful and the dress will also not last very long. Be especially careful about quality in case the dress has beads, rhinestones or lace which need to be stitched on with a great deal of care.
- The store selling the dresses should offer a wide range of the latest designs or else you will have an outdated look on account of trying to get a dress at a low price.
- You should ideally be offered alteration and customization services. This is necessary in order to ensure that the dress fits you like a glove. After all, very few people have the figure to fit perfectly in a store bought dress.
- The store you buy from should be a reliable one that follows fair business practices. For instance, it should have a good policy on returns or exchanges. If the store in question is an online retailer, then you need to be certain that it will deliver exactly what has been ordered.
As you can see, what you need is an inexpensive dress for your prom that does not look cheap. Thankfully, there are stores that specialize in offering these outfits. They are able to offer lovely prom dresses at low prices on account of getting them stitched at low prices and using economies of scale. Some of these stores make very close copies of designer dresses.