- STEP1 – the first step is to take two of the beer (or soda) cartons, open them carefully, and make them flat and laying one on top of the other, printed side out.
- STEP 2 – now measure around your head and cut a hole in the center of the two flattened cartons from step one, then cut around the outside of the cartons so you have two matching pieces that look like a big ‘O’. This is going to be the brim of your cowboy beer hat.
- STEP 3 – the next step is to make the top of the hat, and for that you will need the third carton we did not open. Now you need to measure down from the top of the box how high you want the hat to be, and add an additional four inches. Cut all the way around the carton.
- STEP 4 – from the open end, cut strips four inches long, and about one inch wide all the way around the carton. Now fold them outwards so you have something that looks like a giant cardboard flower.
- STEP 5 – now we need to assemble the pieces we cut out. place the hat top on a flat surface with the cut strips folded out all around the top. Then we place the first brim piece over hat top and shape the top to match our hat brim. You can either glue or staple the strips to the underside of the brim. Once this is done, you can glue the second brim piece to the underside of the hat and first brim piece. You may have to trim this piece a little to get a good shape.
- STEP 6 – the final step. Place the hat on your head, shape the brim to how you want it, making sure it fits correctly.
Remember these instructions are just guidelines, keep trying new ideas to get the shape and size hat your looking for. Try and make a hat that is unique, and most of all have some fun with it. If you make a complete mess, learn from your mistakes and try again. Or, take a look at the professionally made cowboy beer hats you can find in online stores on the internet. Do a Google search for ‘cowboy beer hats’ and you will get a list of stores that specialize in this kind of hat.